Friday, September 21, 2012

The Weight of Death?


In today's class, we brought up the Trolley problem, where there is a trolley heading toward 10 people who will be killed by the trolley unless you pull a switch which will save there life, but cause the trolley to kill 1 person. The question is whether you would pull the switch. For me, this was an especially confusing moral dilemma, because of the way my religion and thoughts on human life connect with my reason and logic.

I think there are two aspects of human life, that need to be consider in the case of Trolley problem. The first is the value of human life. If all human life of equal value, then 10 human lives would be worth more than 1 human life. But that is not the only have to view life. You could say that 10 humans lives are not worth more than one. If such is the case then, you should pull the lever, saving the most people. If human life was worth infinite amount, and it was the most important thing in the universe, therefore whether one or ten, you cannot sacrifice another human life. This means you cannot pull the lever regardless of who the train is initially going to kill.

The other aspect is your own responsibility to human life. How far does your responsibility to human life go? Is your responsibility to preserve human life, or is it to save human life? Is there a difference? I think the difference between saving human life and preserving human life is amount of action you should take. So if you are to save human life you should pull the lever because you are saving 10 human lives. But I think preserving does not require action. You cannot preserve human life if you are putting another set of human lives in danger. So inaction is the choose in that case. Correct me if I am wrong on that, it was just a quick thought that may be me trying to make both sides equal.

I am not really sure, what choice would be the correct choice. I do not think I can say that any choice is more moral than the other. It may be that one choice is more right than the other, but I am not sure if can really say that, if I am saying the morality of both choices are equal. I Would like some feed back, so that I can start getting a stronger grip on what I think morality is. Thanks in Advance. 

1 comment:

  1. I believe you don’t have a clear distinction between preserving and saving human life. Through your example, the best choice should be to kill one to save ten whether you want to save a life or preserve life. In this instance both choices are equal. The only way the choice of sending the trolley to the ten people instead of the one could be morally justified is if you have some preconceived relationship with that one individual. This would really act as an outlier for this case because that decision would not have been made from a morel view point. To complicate the matter further, inaction in this scenario would also not be morally right, because you made a rational decision to let the trolley hit the ten people.

    ReplyDelete